FINISH STRONG: 7 things you need to do before the end of the year
Are you ready for 2020? Have you accomplished all that you wanted to accomplish this year? Probably not. I know I haven’t. You may be exhausted, burned out and quite frankly, ready to leave this year behind. But not so fast!
There’s 7 things you need to do before the end of the year. They’ll help you FINISH STRONG in 2019 and be ready to go in 2020. Here they are:
- CELEBRATE WINS: You need to celebrate all your wins - the big ones and the small ones. It’s human nature to focus on the things we didn’t accomplish; the goals we didn’tachieve; and the progress we didn’t make. I know...I struggle with that too! But you’ve got to let yourself enjoy the good feeling that comes along with achieving even the tiniest bit of success because that’s the fuel you need to make it across the finish line. So celebrate. Then you can move on to a new year and new decade.
- CLARIFY PRIORITIES: Are you feeling overwhelmed by everything on your plate? Here’s an exercise that will help you. Identify the three things you’re accountable for that deliver the most value. Meet with your leader and reach alignment on these three most valuable items. Ask for support in focusing almost exclusively on those three things and delegating everything else. You can’t do it all. No one can. So you must prioritize and focus on those things you do that deliver the most value.
- SIMPLIFY: A really frustrating thing about starting a New Year is not being able to focus and get a quick start to success because last year’s clutter is still hanging around. Clutter prevents us from having the focus and concentration we need to do our best work. So simplify by deleting emails and files, shredding documents and removing old and outdated items and trinkets from your work area. Then you’ll be able to focus in 2020.
- RECHARGE YOUR ENERGY: Great leaders know that taking time away from work to recharge is essential to success. They do it themselves and they encourage their team to as well so their people can return to work in the New Year refreshed, rested and full of energy to take on the challenges ahead. In my consulting and coaching with leaders I see too many people married to their work, putting in long hours and letting their vacation days expire. Don’t be one of those people! Take your vacation days!
- SHOW GRATITUDE: You’ve got a great team supporting you. But what have you done to recognize all their contributions? There’s still time to let people know you appreciate them. Before leaving for the holidays, focus your attention on expressing gratitude by giving them a handwritten note, visiting them or picking up the phone and calling them Showing gratitude lets others know they matter. Not only will you lift up and encourage others, but you’ll get a boost too.
- SET YOUR 2020 GOALS: I know from past experience of guiding leaders through strategic planning and goal setting, that you can’t wait until the New Year to get it all together! When everyone returns from the holidays, you and your team need to hit the ground running! What goals would be amazing accomplishments in 2020? How can you make the biggest impact? Get that picture clear in your mind. Remember, if you don’t know where you’re going; then you’ll likely end up somewhere else.
- SERVE OTHERS: As you finish strong this year, be sure to serve others. It doesn’t have to be something big. Just be intentional. Serving others will make you healthier and happier, instill you with more contentment and will spur others to serve since serving others is contagious. There are many needs and opportunities that you are uniquely qualified for. Imagine the joy and the positive impact you may have on someone else’s life because you served them.
Now you know the 7 things you need to do before the end of the year to FINISH STRONG. To accelerate taking action on these, download the guide: FINISH STRONG: 7 things you need to do before the end of the year.
Here’s to you as you FINISH STRONG.
Connect with Sally
Hi, I'm Sally, I help leaders on capital projects and in construction companies transform their leadership ability so they can lead their team with excellence and deliver extraordinary results that other people (and often even themselves) thought were impossible. If you're ready to transform your leadership results, reach out to Sally so you can get started now.